About the Court
The Buffalo Veterans Treatment Court was established in January 2008 and diverts eligible veteran-defendants with substance dependency and/or mental illness, who are charged with felony or misdemeanor non-violent criminal offense, to a specialized criminal court docket. Veterans are identified through evidence-based screening and assessments. They voluntarily participate in a judicially supervised treatment plan that a team of court staff, veteran health care professionals, veteran peer mentors, health care professionals and mental health professionals develop with the veteran.
Unique aspects of a veterans treatment court include the following:
- court entirely of veterans;
- veterans health care worker(s) present in court;
- volunteer veteran mentors;
- therapeutic environment; and
- hybrid drug & mental health court.